April 6, 2006

TO THE FIVE


Drawing of NYC skyline by Matteo Pericoli from his book Manhattan Unfurled, 2001.
I used to love the Beastie Boys back in my undergrad and then I just stopped. Recently I have a new found respect for their work and can appreciate their words with a new understanding, instead of just admring their unique sound and eclectic spirit. To the Five Boroughs is in many ways their response to 9/11. The CD came out in 2004 as an homage to the city where they make their music.
The typography on this cover reminds me of some throwback to the 80's, like something you would see on Star Wars pajamas. It definitely has an adolescent boy feel to it. Maybe I see that because my brother introduced me to their music in the 80's during the height of his rebellious adolescent stage.